Plant the love of reading for newly independent readers ages 4-8.
Explore Scholastic's Acorn and Branches series, designed for students who are ready to cross over from beginning readers but are not yet ready for traditional chapter books.
Shop Scholastic Readers
- Aimed at 4-7 year olds who are just learning to read
- Guided Reading Levels E–K
- 3 or more self-contained stories in
- Aimed at 5-8 year olds who are newly independent readers
- Easy-to-read and decodable text
- 50:50 text to art ratio with purposeful illustrations on every page
- Full-color and black-and-white options
- Guided Reading Levels L–P
Why do educators and students love Acorn?
- Acorn serves the same audience as leveled readers, but a unique and sophisticated trim size reaches them in a fresh new way.
- Acorn books are all story collections and can be read in any order.
- Each Acorn book features an exciting activity at the back to further engage growing readers.
- Easy-to-read text and color-coded speech bubbles make it easy for kids to follow along and for families to read aloud.
- Acorn books feature best-selling and award-winning authors and illustrators such as Dav Pilkey, Norm Feuti, Mark Teague, Jonathan Fenske, Max Brallier, Ross Burach, Hazel Quintanilla, Cynthia Rylant, and Heather Ayris Burnell.
Check out these exciting Acorn titles:
For Ages 4-7 • 48 and 64 pages • Full color
Why do educators and students love Branches?
- Branches engages kids so they feel successful in reading an entire chapter book.
- Each Branches book presents familiar characters that they come to know and like.
- Branches books feature artwork on every page.
- Branches encourages students to use different reading strategies such as context clues.
- Branches books provide accessible language and vocabulary.
- Branches helps readers integrate meaning, syntax, and phonics easily.
Check out these exciting Branches titles:
For Ages 5-8 • 80 and 96 pages • Full color and black and white
Scholastic Editor Katie Carella talks about confident reading, editing and more.
Check out Branches creator Katie Carella as she explains the origin and benefits of Scholastic Branches.
Watch the Video